Clients, customers, and even colleagues may each be hiding something from you. Learn how to be more effective in asking questions and evaluating responses so you can better detect lies and uncover the truth.
Advanced Interview Techniques for Investigating Fraud and Abuse
|Small-class format: 20 participant limit|
Once the right people have learned how to find evidence of fraud, train them to investigate and interview.
Even good employees sometimes do bad things. If your organization encounters an instance of employee abuse or fraud such as misuse of company resources, theft of assets, fraudulent disbursement, or other issues, investigation of the incident will require interviewing and interrogating employees. Such interviews require special preparation, documentation, and interviewing skills in order to resolve cases of internal fraud or abuse.
What are people hiding from you? Clients, customers and even colleagues may each be hiding something from you. Learn how to be more effective in asking questions and evaluating responses so you can better detect lies and uncover the truth. By enhancing your interview techniques, you will get more information, more insight and less deception from everyone you interview. Even experienced professionals will improve their interviewing skills with this renowned course.
This two-day workshop will give you the knowledge and skills you need to effectively interview and interrogate witnesses, conspirators, and perpetrators potentially involved with incidents of fraud or abuse. Set into a practical workshop format, important concepts are reinforced through your in-class analysis of real videotaped interviews from actual investigations of two cases of internal employee fraud. Concepts are further reinforced through 14 workshop case studies you will help solve in class along with other attendees.
- Duration: 2 days, 8:30 - 4:30
- CPE Credit: 16
- Materials included with live instructor-led training:
- Class manual (complete hardcopy of class presentation)
- Hardcopy policy templates
- Softcopy policy templates
- 14 days of unlimited access to online practice exams for exam #FC102
- 1 attempt for the online certification exam #FC102
- Current-year membership in the CIS Body of Certified Professionals
- Professional Certification: Along with the 3-day fraud prevention and detection session, this session fulfills training requirements for certification exam #FC102 for professional ISO certifications:
- Certificate included with class: Upon course completion, we will provide you with an achievement certificate for 16 continuing professional education (CPE) credits that can be used to fulfill requirements for maintaining a variety of professional credentials for fraud examination, accounting, auditing, and information security.
- Recommended prerequisite training: None
- Morning refreshments and snack
- Afternoon refreshments
- Hotel and/or Travel: Not included
Recommended Attendance by Position
- Executive officers (CEO/CFO/COO...)
- Internal fraud investigators / examiners
- Financial auditors / examiners
- Operations auditors
- Systems auditors
- Human resource managers who would be involved in potential disciplinary action
- Purchasing management in charge of managing the tender process
- Payroll administrators who need to know more about how managers can commit payrol fraud
- Accounts payable/receivable administrators
- Finance department managers
- Sales managers
- Security managers
Know your boundaries: Legal considerations for investigating and interviewing employees
- Understand the science of communication
- Do you know your legal authority for conducting interviews?
- Can you use deception in interviews?
- How do you avoid breaching the employees’ rights under law?
- How do you avoid employee claims of breach of privacy, emotional distress, defamation, false imprisonment, or assault and battery?
- What about trade union protection?
Understand the science of communication
- What are communication facilitators and inhibitors?
- What is the employee really saying with word choice, tone, and syntax?
- What is the employee really saying with body language from the head, face, nose, mouth, eyes, arms, shoulders, elbows, hands, legs, feet, and posture?
- What is the employee really saying with anger, boredom, frustration, and body movements?
Learn how to prepare for the interview
- How do you properly establish the foundation for your investigation?
- How do you gather evidence and background information for the interview? Where do you get the information from?
- What is the best venue and physical environment for interviewing?
- How should you plan the interview for witnesses, conspirators, and perpetrators?
Learn how to conduct the interview
- What are 13 verbal clues of deception you need to recognize?
- What are 10 non-verbal clues of deception you need to recognize?
- What is the proper interviewing sequence and use of questioning? How do you open the interview, get good information, resolve contradictions or deceit, and close the interview?
- What is the best approach to obtaining an admission of guilt? How do you help the employee rationalize what he or she did and tell you what truly happened?
- Learn how to professionally conduct an interview in stages with the proper introduction and rapport establishment, information gathering, assesment questions, closing, and admission seeking.
Know how to report your findings
- How should your findings be presented to company insiders, attorneys, defendants & witnesses, the press, or juries?
- What is a good report structure for presenting your findings?
My guarantee to you.
Preparing for Certified Information Security's professional certification exam #FC102 is serious business.
This is where we can help you. If you first successfully complete:
- All prerequisite course training; and
- All FC102 online practice exams
Certified Information Security guarantees your success in passing CIS exam #FC102.
If you do not pass exam #FC102 on your first attempt after completion of your required course and practice exams, Certified Information Security will allow you to re-test at no additional charge until you successfully pass your certification exam.